J. Michael Stovall is an illustrator and animator based in Houston, Texas. Mike worked primarily in branding and P.R. for over 10 years, but his focus has shifted to creating illustration and animation. Highlights include working as an animator on Richard Linklater’s film A Scanner Darkly, and as Art Director at Radiant Creative Group, an Interactive Media firm where he created animation (animation art and character design). An ongoing component over this entire period is also his freelance work under the moniker Stovepipe Art+Illustration, which has now become his full time focus.
- Center for Cartoon Studies  Cartooning Studio, White River Junction, VT
- ACT Houston  Certified in Technical Applications, Art and K-12, Houston, TX
- University of Arkansas, Bachelor of Arts, Illustration and Design, Fayetteville, AR
- Box 13 ArtSpace [2012-present] Houston,TX.
- Sketch Klubb [2005-present] Art Collective, Houston,TX.
- Austin Sketch Squad [2005-2009] Art Collective, Austin,TX.
- Contemporary Arts Museum Houston [October 2010] Sketch Klubb Slide Jam.
- The Idea Fund  The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, DiverseWorks, Aurora Picture Show, Project Row Houses.
- Bettie Page: The Electric Lady Print Show [April 17, 2015] Burning Bones Press, Houston, TX
- Ultraviolet Masterworks , Curated by J. Michael Stovall [March 8, 2014] Box13 Artspace, Houston, TX
- 1000 Crappy Barts [January 11, 2014] Box13 Artspace, Houston, TX
- The Empty Box [2012, 2013, 2014, 2015] Box13 Artspace, Houston TX
- Shipped: Artists Outside the BOX [June 20, 20012] 4411 Montrose, Houston, TX
- Luck Of The Draw [2006, 2007, 2008, 2010] DiverseWorks, Houston, TX
- Sketch Klubb: Nerd Garage Sale Show [June 20, 2009] Joanna Gallery, Houston,TX
- Sketch Klubb Show Us Your Zits Show [July 25, 2009] Sofa Gallery, Austin, TX
- Sketch Klubb Show Us Your Zits Show [November 21, 2009] Texas Firehouse, Queens, NY
- The Monster Show, DOMY [October 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012] Houston and Austin, TX
- Lowbrow Monster Mash [October 13, 2007] Austin, TX
- Retablo Exhibition [October 2000] Lawndale Art Center, Houston, TX
- Gulf Coast, A Journal of Literature and Fine Art [Summer/Fall, 2011] SketchKlubb Issue.
- Atlanta Magazine [Summer, 2007] Story Illustration.
- The Oxford American Magazine [Fall, 2006] Full Page Illustration.
- Houston Press [Volume16, Number 17 2005] Cover and Feature Illustrations.
- 002 Houston [Volume 5, Issue 60 2003] Cover Illustration.
- Robert Boyd, "The Bart Book of the Dead, The Great God Pan is Dead" [Web. Janurary 2014].
- Bill Davenport, "Sketch Klubb: 1000 Crappy Barts for Michael Harwell", Glass Tire [Web. Janurary 2014].
- Staff Writer, "Sketch Klubb presents 1,000 crappy Barts for Michael Harwell plus Klay Klubb", CultureMap Houston, [Web. Janurary 2014].
- Nancy Wozny, “The Idea Fund gives sophisticated garage art and boy bands with pens a chance.” CultureMap Houston, [Web. June 2010].
- Shyla Batliwalla, “Sketch Klubb Rolls Twelve Deep,” 002Houston [September 2009, Vol. 11 Issue 129].
- Alex Gilbert, “Show Us Your Zits! at the Joanna.” 29-95. [Web. June 2009].
- Staff Writer, “Sketch Klubb: Houston’s Hardest Crew.” chron.com, Houston Chronical Online [June 2009].
- Michelle White, “A Collective Adventure.” Art Lies, Issue 56, .
- Tim Moloney, “Mike Stovall: Ready For His Close Up.” 002 Houston, Vol. 8 Issue 92, [August 2006].